We already spend a lot of time looking at our phones (I know I’m guilty of this!), so why not put them to work to improve your physique. In this series, I want to highlight two of my favorite apps, what they do, how they make my life easier and maintain my health and fitness goals.
My Macros+ and iConvert are apps that I use together for food tracking and converting measurements. It’s extremely important, especially when you’re working out regularly or training for an event, that you plan your nutrition and food prep properly – including tracking how much you consume. Using these two apps together helps me do just that.
One of the best things about My Macros+ is it’s large database of more than four million food items (including popular restaurants) – not only are they included, they are verified. I don’t know any other nutrition app that verifies macros at this time, so My Macros has earned its + from me! There’s no excuse not to track, once you start adding items to your day, you can easily view the nutritional (Protein, Carbs and Fats) breakdown by food item, meals, and daily totals in a glance.
My favorite things about My Macros+ are :
- You can follow your favorite athletes diets through “my circle” (Follow me @fantescagirl).
- You can “lift” a friends food macros without having to retype it into yours.
- You can copy a friend’s entire day of meals into your program with a click.
- You can track your weight with each day for easy reference.
- You can store your macro goals at each stage of your diet.
- You can program an entire week in advance making meal planning and grocery shopping easy.
- It does what it is supposed to and not anything more, which makes it easy to use.
- I can program recipes into macros and it can configure protein, carbs and fats for each serving so I don’t have to.
Some other great features include:
- No internet or wifi is required to use the app.
- A barcode scanner lets you quickly add food.
- Create as many meals as you want (not just breakfast, lunch, and dinner), you can add snacks and post workout meals, too.
- Custom inputting lets you add your own foods based on serving size and type. If you prefer teaspoons vs. grams – have at it!
I like to use My Macros+ in tandem with iConvert, which is a simple to use unit converter. What I like about iConvert is:
- It allows me to convert weight, volume, temperatures, energies, and even length and area.
- I love the fact that it has a currency converter when I travel – an added bonus!
- It is just quick and simple!
I have the apps right next to each other on my phone so they are easy to toggle in between when using both, which happens several times a day.